The hours of operation for the Waste Disposal Sites and Recycling Centres changed on July 1,2018. Download the The Hours of Operation document to view the changes.
Effective July 1st, 2018, GREY Waste Disposal Site Identification Cards replaced the previous orange cards. The cards must be shown to the attendant for entry to the site.
- Download the Landfill Information Sheets for a detailed list of acceptable and non acceptable items.
- Any Assessed Property Owner(s) or Business Owner(s) wishing to have a Customer Charge Account may submit an “Landfill Charge Account Application Form”, Appendix “A” to Township Policy No. 94 G.
- 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Days
- “NEW” fees for construction waste loads that contain over 6% of recyclable materials will be charged $80.00/cu.yd.
- “NEW” fees for household garbage that contain over 6% of recyclable waste will be charged $2.00/bag.
- Clear bags are mandatory.
- Recycling of all materials is strictly enforced. Download the Recycling Strategies sheets for more information.
- Scotchline Landfill has a “Reuse” area for items in good condition such as books, sporting goods, dinnerware and furnishings. Unacceptable items include any child care items such as car seats, cribs or high chairs, electrical devices, safety equipment as well as general refuse.
- Contractors must fill out a contractor authorization form for the purpose of charging for tipping fees. Forms are available at the Administration Office, front counter.
- Boat Shrink Wrap that is clean and tightly bundled with string will be accepted for the month of July only at a cost of $5/wrap and may be dropped off at the Scotchline landfill site.
- Landfill attendants have the right to refuse entry to any landfill site for appropriate reasons
- Annual summary reports are available upon request.
The ground monitoring of the Municipal landfill sites for Minden Hills is contracted out to Cambium Environmental as required by Ministry of the Environment regulations.
Municipal Waste Recycling Strategy Plan Summary (2011)
Plans & Reports
Safe Disposal of Used Needles/Expired Medications
Needles/syringes used for injection at home are not accepted for disposal at the Household Hazardous Waste Day Events. You can now return unused sharps (needles & syringes) for free to a local pharmacy.
Please do not place needles/syringes in your garbage bag or can. Doing so is a safety hazard for our collection staff.
Safe Disposal of Unused or Expired Medication
Old medicine may not work and could even harm you and must be disposed of safely. This includes all prescription and non-prescription medications, vitamins and herbal products. These types of products must not be thrown in the garbage (children or animals may get into it) nor should they be flushed down the toilet (this will contaminate the environment). You can now return unused or expired medications for free to a local pharmacy.
For a list of collection locations near you, visit the Health Products Stewardship Association Website. Alternatively, you can take all unused or expired medications to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot for free safe disposal.
Disposal Sites and Recycling Centres
How to Get There
Located at 1674 Ingoldsby Road. Take County Road 21 to Kashagawigamog Lake Road. Travel through Ingoldsby to the first road on the right past the bridge. Landfill is approx ½ km on the left, or take County Road 1 (Gelert Road) to Ingoldsby Road and follow for approx 3 km.
Located at 2309 Milburn Road, 1 km west of County Road 503, or 8 km east of County Road 1(Gelert Road).
Davis Lake Road is located north of Miner’s Bay Lodge off Hwy 35. Go East on Davis Lake Road 4 km. At the “y” in the road by the Radio Tower, take straight branch (left), 1 km to landfill site.
Take Hwy 35 North to Bobcaygeon Road. Travel through Minden and turn Left onto Deep Bay Road (County Road 2) Follow approx 4 km, or take Hwy 35 South of Minden approx 14 km South, just South of Little Gull Lake and turn onto Deep Bay Road, follow road approximately 4 km.
Take Hwy 35 North to Scotch Line Road. Turn left onto Scotch Line Road. Follow road approx 1 km. Landfill is on the left, or take Bobcaygeon Road North to Scotch Line Road, turn right onto Scotch Line
LANDFILL IDENTIFICATION CARDS MUST BE SHOWN
Cottage Kits are available at the Administrative Building, 7 Milne Street or can be picked up from the Scotchline Landfill. Kits are 1 for $3.00 or 10 for $25.00.
Please download the Recycling Table. There is no charge for recycling at any landfill site.
Please rinse out cans, bottles, jars and other containers.
Please do not package “fibres” in plastic bags.
NO cosmetic containers, toothpaste tubes, stretch wrap, insulation, packing styrofoam peanuts or beads.
NO straws, milk, bread, shopping & dry cleaning bags.
NO wrap from toilet paper, paper towels, etc., bubble or boat wrap, tarps or other large sheets of plastic film.
NO vinyl siding, shower curtains, blister packs, coat hangers, foil laminates (i.e. foil gift wrap, potato chip bags), used tissues or paper towels.
Recycling must be in blue boxes or transparent bags which must be dumped
The Township of Minden Hills has entered into an agreement with Pnewko Brothers to recycle oil, anti-freeze and hydraulic lubricant containers. This service is of no charge to residents of Minden Hills. There are considerations the Township requests when residents bring the containers to the landfills:
- Please ensure that all pails and containers are empty of liquid. Only a small residue should remain.
- Please remove all pail lids and place lids in the bags with the oil jugs.
- Please do not pails in the bags.
- Please ensure that all pail lids are free of metal.
- Please stack pails. Keep the lid on the top pail to prevent liquid from gathering in the pail.
- Please replace the cap on all oil jugs after draining. This prevents the pooling of oil in the bottom of the bag.
Collection is available at all Township landfill and transfer station locations.
Household Hazardous Waste
Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste items
Rechargeable batteries (eg. Telephone & cell phone batteries), small household batteries, fluorescent bulbs, CFL bulbs, printer ink jets, toner cartridges, empty aerosol cans – place in the RED bins at Scotch Line landfill site, all other sites, please give to the landfill attendant. DRY & EMPTY paint cans can be placed in the metal bins.
2019 Household Hazardous Waste Days
The 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Days collection dates are approved and set by the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. Residents are asked to store any household hazardous waste items in a separate, secure and dry area until the next event dates are posted.
Acceptable items on Household Hazardous Waste Days ONLY
Latex and Oil Paints, Finishing Products, e.g. varnish, glues, etc.; Used Motor Oil; Auto and Household Batteries; Propane Tanks and Cylinders; Cleaners, e.g. bleach, oven cleaner, etc.; Aerosol Cans; Solvents, e.g. varsol, paint thinners, etc.; Pesticides and Herbicides; Pool and Photographic Chemicals.
Unacceptable Waste Classes
Industrial Waste; Needles/Sharps; PCB’s; Radioactives; Pathological.
LANDFILL IDENTIFICATION CARDS MUST BE SHOWN AT ALL TIMES