For Immediate Release
Wednesday May 18, 2022
SUBJECT: FIRE BAN LIFTED – effective immediately
May 18, 2022 – The Township of Minden Hills and the 3 other Townships within Haliburton County have lifted the fire ban. The fire status is set at High.
The Minden Hills Fire Department is advising all residents and contractors that the Fire Ban is lifted and open air fires are now permitted. All daytime burning and/or firework permits that were previously approved and then suspended during the Fire Ban, are active again.
A reminder that all daytime burn permits must be approved before any daytime burning is allowed. If you have applied for a burn or fireworks permit, inspections will begin again and approvals issued as required.
The discharge or use of fireworks without a permit is prohibited, please contact the Minden Hills Fire Department for more information.
The Fire Status Rating is HIGH – Caution advised, suitable open-air fires allowed.
High Fire Status:
- Caution is strongly advised before starting any campfire, setting off fireworks or burning
- Safe camp fires are allowed in the evenings without a permit; after 7:00 PM
- Permits are required for daytime burning (7:00 AM to 7:00 PM)
- A responsible adult must tend the fire until it is extinguished
- Material must be burned in a single pile that is less than two (2) meters in diameter and less than two (2) meters high
- The fire is at least two (3) meters from any flammable or combustible materials
- The person tending the fire has tools or water adequate to contain the fire within the fire site
- The fire is completely extinguished (cold to the touch) when it cannot be attended
As fire can quickly become uncontrolled and spread, all fires must be attended with tools to control the fire. If there is fire or smoke spreading or someone is injured, call 9-1-1. If you feel the rules are not being followed, call 705-286-1212 to report the situation. Fireworks are not to be discharged without a permit. If you have a fireworks complaint please call 705-286-1212 to report it.
To check the current fire status rating, please call our automated fire status phone line at 249-802-3535. ALL REPORTS ARE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL
For more information and accurate updates, please visit www.mindenhills.ca. The MFD will continue to monitor the fire hazard and post updates, as required.
Shain Duda, Deputy Fire Chief
Township of Minden Hills
PO Box 359, 7 Milne Street
Minden, ON K0M 2K0