Building Permit Information
Building Permits for Flood Related Demolishing, Renovating or Rebuilding
The Township of Minden Hills, by way of Council resolution, has currently waived the Building permit fees for demolishing, renovating or rebuilding for residents, businesses or organizations of Minden Hills, whose buildings have been affected by the flood. This service will continue until further notice.
While the fees have been waived, obtaining a permit from the Township is still required. For a complete list of common projects that require a building permit, please download the When is a Building Permit Required? Information Sheet.
Please contact or visit the Building department, #7 Milne Street, Minden, or call 705-286-1260 Ext. 211. Staff will be available to assist and walk you through the process.
Our Department has a maximum of two weeks to process a COMPLETED application – this is an application that has all relevant documentation to process the permit, in our office.
Construction is not to commence, nor will Inspections be scheduled, until you have your building permit in your hand and all fees have been paid in full.
Before submitting an application to build, step one must be completed prior to applying for your permit.
Step 1 – Two Site Plans
- One showing ALL existing buildings/structures (this includes sheds, bunkies, garages, dwellings and the septic bed/tank etc.,) and their sizes. Show how far each structure is from the front, sides and rear property lines. Please include on the site plan your name, a contact number, Lot, Concession, 911 number and Roll number.
- One showing ALL proposed buildings/structures (this includes sheds, bunkies, garages, dwellings and the septic bed/tank etc.,) and their sizes. Show how far each structure is from the front, sides and rear property lines. Please include on the site plan your name, a contact number, Lot, Concession, 911 number and Roll number.
A Sample Site Plan has been created to illustrate the above noted requirements.
A Setback Information Sheet is available to assist you with the required distances for your property. Zoning information for your property can be found in the Planning Documents page or by contacting the Township.
An application for a building permit must be accompanied with the following required information or it will be returned to you as incomplete:
Step 2 – Septic System Approval
You need Septic System Approval PRIOR to applying for a building permit if you are building:
- a new dwelling
- adding an addition to an existing dwelling of 15% or more of the existing finished floor area
- increasing the loading on the septic system i.e.: with bedrooms or bathrooms OR
- building a Bunkie
- The prescribed application Form, supplied by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, must be completed, IN FULL. (This is the form attached to this information sheet). An application form that is not completely filled in is considered an incomplete application and will be returned.
- Your Roll Number needs to be on the prescribed application form. (This is located at the top of the form in the “For Use by Public Authority” section).
- Two complete sets of detailed building plans, including floor plans, elevations, sections, etc. If doing an addition, a floor plan of what is existing, will be required.
- Specify the type of heating ______________________________
Step 7 – Driveway Entrance Approval (If you live on a Private Road, this is not required).
- If you live on a Township Road, you will require approval from the Township.
- If you live on a County Road, you will require approval from the County.
- If you live on a Provincial Highway, you will require approval from MTO.
- If building a dwelling on vacant land a 911 number must be obtained from the County of Haliburton prior to Occupancy being granted. They can be reached by calling 705-286-1333.
Documents Required PRIOR to a Framing Inspection:
- Truss drawings (Engineered Truss drawings are required in our office prior to a framing inspection being granted).
- HVAC design will be required in our office and be approved prior to a framing inspection being granted if building a Single Family Dwelling (Not applicable for Seasonal Dwellings).
Our department will not be able to accept an application to build unless all the above required information is attached. Construction is not to commence, nor will Inspections be scheduled, until you have your building permit in your hand and all fees have been paid in full.
Please be advised that additional structures or improvements to property will result in supplementary assessment. This assessment and the resulting taxes can be billed for a maximum of 3 years (2 years plus the current) and will often be issued as one bill for the full amount. Upon receipt of your assessment notice, please review all of the information provided including the effective date, assessment amount and last date for appeal. In most cases, you will not receive your tax bill until after the appeal date has expired, so it is important to act immediately if you have any concerns. If you have any questions or require further information, please contact the tax department.
Building Inspections are mandatory under the Ontario Building Code.
The Building Department has two (2) business days from the date of notice for an inspection, to undertake the inspection. Please ensure that when you call for your inspection, you are ready at that time. Should you not be ready at the time of inspection, a re-inspection fee may be charged. Please do not email or fax in your inspection.
To book an inspection, please call:
Paula Stamp, Permit Clerk/Municipal Law Enforcement Officer 705-286-1260 Ext. 211
When calling in for an inspection, should you reach a voice mail, please leave the owners name, type of inspection and a phone number. All calls are returned on the day they are received.
Building Inspections are ultimately the responsibility of the property owner. When hiring a contractor, please discuss who will be calling in for your inspections. At any point and time during construction, the owner may call in for a status update on their file.
Classes of fees and permits are shown on Schedule A of the Fees and Charges Bylaw 17-58
For general building inquiries, please call 705-286-1260 Ext. 211 or email Paula Stamp.