Media Release #21-10: Leave Fireworks to the Experts – Get a Permit

Minden, ON.
Friday, May 21, 2021
10:30 AM
Release #21-10

SUBJECT: Leave Fireworks to the Experts – Get a Permit

Minden Hills, May 21, 2021The Minden Hills Fire Department urges the public to leave fireworks to the experts. 

To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries this Victoria Day weekend, Minden Hills Fire Department is reminding the public that family fireworks or informal neighborhood displays require a Fireworks Permit.

“Our Open Air Fire Bylaw in the Township of Minden Hills requires anyone who wishes to set off fireworks have a fireworks permit from the fire department, prior to setting them off.” Says Fire Chief Nelson Johnson.  “The dry conditions are a concern for fire safety and we must ensure that everyone will discharge fireworks safely, fireworks can be extremely dangerous and can cause fires in the dry environment.”

If someone still chooses to have a family fireworks or an informal neighborhood display, they must check with their local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks. In the Township of Minden Hills you must have a permit, discharging fireworks without a permit is a minimum charge of $485.00 and the person may be held responsible for all costs if a fire was started by the fireworks. 

Here are some important safety tips to be followed:

  • Apply for and receive an approved fireworks permit
  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks.
  • For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind (less than 25 kmh) conditions do not create a safety hazard.
  • Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

For more information, visit www.mindenhills.ca .

-30-

Contact Information:
Nelson Johnson, Fire Chief
Township of Minden Hills
PO Box 359, 7 Milne Street
Minden, ON K0M 2K0
njohnson@mindenhills.ca