April 3, 2020:
April 2, 2020:
March 27, 2020:
March 25, 2020:
March 20, 2020:
March 18, 2020:
- Media Release 20-12-Minden Hills COVID-19 Additional Facility Closures
- Media Release 20-11-Minden Hills COVID-19 Declaration of Emergency Status
March 17, 2020:
The March Tax Due Date has been extended to April 24th, 2020.
For more information on the tax due date extension and other finance information, refer to the
Changes in Tax Due page of our website.
ALL Township facilities are now CLOSED to the public.
All LANDFILLS remain open, see below for any change in service levels.
*** THE DUE DATE FOR FIRST INSTALLMENT OF THE 2020 INTERIM TAX BILLING has been extended to April 24, 2020, without penalty or interest. ***
Please Call 705-286-1260 or Email email@example.com for assistance.
Due to reduced staffing levels, calls and emails will be returned, if deemed necessary, on a priority basis.
Visit www.mindenhills.ca to view the Media Release and for a list of township closures and alternative methods of service being offered.
We thank the public for their understanding as we work toward keeping our community safe & healthy.
- Services will continue to operate at full capacity with appropriate precautions in place; and
- We would like to remind everyone to call 911 for all emergency situations.
- Due to the current requirement for social/physical distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Minden Hills Fire Department, along with the other fire departments in Haliburton County, have suspended the issuing of Burn Permits, until further notice. This is in conjunction with the Township’s continuing effort to keep the community safe by implementing community-based measures to limit exposure to risk for the public, Township employees and volunteers.
- The public is reminded that, as per By-law 19-57: No person shall start a fire, outdoors for burning untreated wood products, leaves and brush, between the hours of 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM without a permit. Any person that sets a fire within the restricted time without a permit shall be responsible for all fees, fines and costs incurred by the fire department.
Building/By-Law and Planning Department
- Interaction with staff is limited to appointment only;
- Application forms pertaining to these departments can be found online;
- Meetings related to planning matters with legislated timelines will occur until or unless other legislative requirements are determined by the Province of Ontario;
- Staff will continue to field building inspection requests;
- Septic inspections were suspended December 2019, and will continue to be suspended until further notice;
- Appropriate distancing and hygiene protocols will be required by staff and all participants; as determined by the Township; and
- The public is asked to consider the urgency of their request or application.
The Due Date for the 1st installment of the 2020 Interim Tax Billing has been extended to April 24, 2020, without penalty or interest.
Payment of Accounts:
- Cash and debit payments have been suspended;
- Please refer to the following table for all other payment methods:
- The secure (locked) Drop Box (as noted in the above table) is labelled and located on the north wall of the Administration building facing Pritchard Lane and the Municipal parking lot. It is accessed from the wheelchair entrance and is at the top of the first ramp, please look for the sign with the red arrow in the window - Absolutely no cash is to be deposited in the drop box;
- Interest and penalties for non-payment of other accounts (see above table) will also be suspended until April 24, 2020 as well.
- While due dates have been extended, we encourage account holders to utilize the payment methods noted above, and to submit payments as soon as reasonably possible.
Payment of all Vendor Accounts (Accounts Payable):
- Will continue according to normal processes;
- Due to the office closure, invoices must be mailed or placed in the Township Drop Box – see Drop Box details above.
- Please ensure that invoices include your current mailing address, as the ability to pick-up your cheque at any Township facility has been suspended.
- Cheques will be mailed. The Township does not have the ability to EFT payments at this time, and courier services will not be utilized.
Property Assessment Values and Assessment Review Board:
- The Request for Reconsideration (RfR) deadline is usually March 31st of the applicable taxation year. However, given the emergency declared by the Province of Ontario, pursuant to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act and regulations made thereunder, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, (MPAC) has announced that the RfR deadline for the 2020 taxation year will be 16 days after the emergency is lifted. https://www.mpac.ca/
- For information regarding Assessment Review Board deferrals and timelines, please refer to the Board’s website under News and Updates: https://elto.gov.on.ca/
All Council, Committee of the Whole, Public, Advisory Committee and Local Board regularly scheduled meetings have been suspended until further notice.
Staff are working diligently to find a solution for moving forward the business of Council and to resume meetings as soon as possible; by means that meet legislative requirements, provides transparency to the public, and adheres to all safety measures for Staff, Council and members of the Public.
Parks, Recreation, Community and Cultural Services
- These facilities are closed, and all Township events and programs have been cancelled or suspended until further notice.
Public Parks, Playgrounds and Boat Launches:
- In accordance with the Ontario Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, the following Township maintained seasonal public parks, playgrounds and boat launches are CLOSED, effectively immediately, until further notice:
- Panorama Park
- Rotary Park
- Bissett Beach
- Lutterworth Park
- Furnace Falls
- Skateboard Park, Tennis Courts and Shuffle Board Courts
- Peck Street Boat Launch
- Downtown Public Dock (located on Water Street, along the Gull River)
- A reminder that the Minden, Lochlin and Irondale Community Centres remain closed, including the children’s playgrounds at each of these locations.
- Signage and/or barricades will be placed at all affected locations.
- All other municipally maintained public boat launches will remain open at this time. When accessing these locations, ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing with a minimum of 2m (6 feet) between yourself and other members of the public.
- All public washrooms and portable toilets (port-a-potties) are closed for public use.
Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Will remain available at the following locations:
Administration Building – #7 Milne Street - Parking Lot and Minden Hills Library – #174 Bobcaygeon Road – Parking Lot
Reduced services at waste sites to the acceptance of bagged garbage and household recycling only was undertaken in response to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic.
Since the announcement of these reductions on March 18, 2020, site traffic has not reduced. Residents are attending waste sites in higher volumes than is typical for this time of year, and many are attending with minimal amounts of waste.
The Township of Minden Hills is urging residents to avoid waste sites as much as possible, in order reduce the number of individuals on site at any given time.
Do not attend waste sites unless you have accumulated 3 full bags of garbage
When attending waste sites, please adhere to the following:
- Do not bring passengers to waste sites unless you need physical assistance unloading your vehicle or have no other arrangements made for watching a dependant (child, elderly, etc.).
- Do not cross any physical barriers put in place at each site.
- Do not approach attendants for assistance unless you are in physical distress.
- Do not attend the site with any materials beyond bagged household waste and recycling.
- Do not enter the site attendant’s shelter or bring food or beverages for the site attendants.
- Do not exit your vehicle with the exception of unloading your vehicle at the household waste bin and recycling bins.
- All communication with site staff shall be completed through the window of your vehicle, and shall be limited to discussions regarding the disposal of your waste.
- When you have exited your vehicle, ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing with a minimum of 2m (6 feet) between yourself and members of the public.
Any person verbally harassing or abusing site staff and/or failing to comply with the above requirements or regular waste facility rules/regulations will be suspended from attending the site for the remainder of the Provincial and Municipal declared COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency.
Please remember that these are temporary measures put in place to stop the transmission of COVID-19 and a return to normal operations will require the immediate and full cooperation of the public.
- Service levels will be maintained in accordance with minimum maintenance standards.
Laboratory testing of well water
The Haliburton HKPR District Health Unit is closed to the public, however water bottles can be picked up, and returned samples can be dropped off, outside the office located at 191 Highland Street, Unit 301, Haliburton, Monday to Thursday - 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. All returned water samples are to be placed in the cooler provided outside of the building. Ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing.
Please call ahead as pick up/drop off times may change -1-866-888-4577, ext. 5006.
Landfills Remain Open. The Hours of Operation Have Not Changed.
For more information on Landfill Operations, including some service reductions, refer to the
Landfill Operations page of our website.
The Township of Minden is monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic as declared by the World Health Organization (WHO).
We are collectively working together to put into effect community based measures that will protect the general population in Minden Hills and our surroundings, in order to do our part to slow the spread of the virus.
New information continues to be communicated by the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario regarding preventative measures for communities. This information can be accessed by clicking the links provided under the HELPFUL LINKS heading.
We will also share important and useful communications from our community partners. These can be accessed by clicking on the links provided under the SHARED COMMUNICATIONS heading.
On March 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced the COVID-19 outbreak can be characterized as a pandemic and that the rates of infection continue to rise. On March 17, 2020 the province of Ontario declared a State of Emergency.
The Township of Minden Hills has declared a state of emergency effective, Tuesday March 17, 2020 at 6:42 PM.
The Minden Hills Emergency Operations Centre has convened and are beginning to meet regularly to monitor the situation and are encouraging the public to check the Township website and local media outlets for updates.
Another way to stay up to date is to subscribe to our website by clicking the Subscribe Here button, located at the bottom of the web page, and by completing the following:
- Name and email address
- Select any or all of the options listed to receive notifications.
- You will receive a confirmation email thanking you for subscribing. IMPORTANT: Check your spam folder if you do not receive the confirmation email.
We will continue to communicate all information by means of media broadcasting and media releases to radio stations, local newspapers and our website.
For Municipal Emergency contact after hours call: 1-866-856-3247
For Emergency Services call: 911