May 15, 2020: The Province of Ontario has lifted the essential workplace limits on construction. The Township of Minden Hills Building Department will begin resuming all construction related activities, including the issuance of permits and inspections effective Tuesday, May 19, 2020. The Building Department can be reached by calling 705-286-1260 ext. 209.
May 8, 2020 - Following the May 4th, 2020 Provincial statement regarding the construction industry and efforts to begin re-opening certain business sectors, the municipalities of Haliburton County will resume issuing permits for On-Site Sewage Systems, effective Monday, May 11th.
At this time, permits for building and/or demolition will continue to be accepted for review but will not be issued until the provincial government removes restrictions for such construction projects.
These municipal changes should be followed in conjunction with the provincial restrictions of limited gatherings, social distancing, etc.
April 4, 2020 - as of 11:59 PM April 4th, 2020 construction sites across Ontario shall be limited to the following parameters:
- Construction projects and services associated with the healthcare sector, including new facilities, expansions, renovations and conversion of spaces that could be re-purposed for health care space.
- Construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operations of, or to provide new capacity in, critical provincial infrastructure, including transit, transportation, energy and justice sectors beyond the day-to-day maintenance.
- Critical industrial construction activities required for,
- the maintenance and operations of petrochemical plants and refineries,
- significant industrial petrochemical projects where preliminary work has already commenced,
- industrial construction and modifications to existing industrial structures limited solely to work necessary for the production, maintenance, and/or enhancement of Personal Protective Equipment, medical devices (such as ventilators), and other identified products directly related to combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Residential construction projects where,
- a footing permit has been granted for single family, semi-detached and town-homes
- an above grade structural permit has been granted for condominiums, mixed use and other buildings, or
- the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before April 4, 2020.
- Construction and maintenance activities necessary to temporarily close construction sites that have paused or are not active and to ensure ongoing public safety.
Under the provincial mandate, construction cannot be started unless the project falls within the essential list above.
For full information regarding these changes, refer to Media Release 20-24 - Joint Letter to the Construction Industry - Essential Services List COVID-19 04.09.20
For more information on Building/Bylaw/Planning matters, please refer to the Building/Bylaw/Planning page of our website.
For information regarding the Haliburton County Home Builders Association, please visit their website at www.hchba.ca
May 15, 2020:
- Media Release 20-32 Minden Hills COVID-19 Update - Suspension of Events, Construction Activities and MNRF Fire Ban-Burn Permits
May 8, 2020:
- Media Release 20-29 Minden Hills COVID-19 Update, Construction Industry (Septic Permits)
April 28, 2020:
April 22, 2020:
April 9, 2020:
- Media Release 20-25 Minden Hills COVID-19 Easter Weekend Short-Term Rentals Contact Information
- Media Release 20-24 - Joint Letter to the Construction Industry - Essential Services List COVID-19 04.09.20
April 6, 2020:
April 3, 2020:
April 2, 2020:
March 27, 2020:
March 25, 2020:
March 20, 2020:
March 18, 2020:
- Media Release 20-12-Minden Hills COVID-19 Additional Facility Closures
- Media Release 20-11-Minden Hills COVID-19 Declaration of Emergency Status
March 17, 2020:
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) has lifted their Fire Restrictions, effective 12:01 AM, Saturday May 16, 2020. Open air burning will be permitted. Individuals must contact the Minden Hills Fire Department at 705-286-1260 or visit www.mindenhills.ca/emergency-fire-services/fire-prevention/ for any restrictions or bylaw information that are in place regarding open air burning.
The 2020 property tax installments are due on:
The calculation of penalties and interest, however, has been extended to December 4, 2020.
For more information on this extension, the processing of PAP and Post-Dated Cheques and other finance information, refer to the
Changes in Tax Due Date and other Financial Information page of our website.
Exclusive of Landfill Operations, ALL Township facilities continue to remain CLOSED to the public, until further notice.
*** THE 2020 TAX INSTALLMENTS ARE DUE ON DUE MAY 29, JUNE 26. JULY 24 & SEPTEMBER 18. HOWEVER late payment charges shall be suspended on all tax installments that are unpaid by the due dates. Interest at the rate of one and one quarter percent (1 ¼%) per month shall be charged on the first (1st) day following December 4, 2020, on all due and unpaid 2020 taxes.***
Administrative call answering services remain available during regular business hours, between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday. Our menu has changed.
Dial 705-286-1260 followed by one of the following options:
- For the Building, By-law and Planning Departments dial extension 209
- For the Finance and Tax Department dial extension 201
- For the Public Works Department (including Landfills, Roads and Water & Sewer) dial extension 212
- For all other inquiries dial extension 200
Please provide your name, contact information (phone and/or email) and a clear and brief message regarding the reason for your call or email.
If a return call is deemed necessary by Staff, it will be done in a priority sequence. Please be patient.
Please do not submit inquiries though the Minden Hills website “Contact Us” form.
If your call is an Emergency, call 911.
For after-hours Township related emergencies, please call 1-866-856-3247.
Due to reduced staffing levels, calls and emails will be returned, if deemed necessary, on a priority basis.
Visit www.mindenhills.ca to view Media Releases and for a list of township closures and alternative methods of service being offered.
We thank the public for their understanding as we work toward keeping our community safe & healthy.
- Services will continue to operate at full capacity with appropriate precautions in place; and
- We would like to remind everyone to call 911 for all emergency situations.
- The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) lifted their Fire Restrictions, effective 12:01 AM, Saturday May 16, 2020.
- Open air burning will be permitted. Individuals must contact the Minden Hills Fire Department for any restrictions or bylaw information that are in place regarding open air burning.
- A reminder that from April 1st to October 31st each year, Burn Permits are required in order to burn approved materials, between the hours of 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM, as per By-law 19-57 for the Regulating of Open Air Fires.
- As part of the Township’s community-based measures to limit exposure of risk for the public, Township employees and volunteers, the Minden Hills Fire Department will be issuing burn permits under the following conditions:
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2 DAY PERIOD TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION, NOTED ON THE APPLICATION FORM, HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 3 – 4 BUSINESS DAYS.
- Permits can be downloaded from the Fire Prevention page of our website at https://mindenhills.ca/emergency-fire-services/fire-prevention/
- The completed form can be:
- Submitted by email to email@example.com
- Placed in the drop box at the Administration Office, located at 7 Milne Street
- Or by calling the Fire Department at 705-286-1260
- At this time the Township is receiving payment by either Cheque or Money Order only, made payable to the Township of Minden Hills.
- The Fire Department will attend your site to complete an inspection and finalize your burn permit.
- Once the burn permit is finalized you may have open air fires under that permit, following all rules and regulations.
- The public is reminded that, as per By-law 19-57: No person shall start a fire, outdoors for burning untreated wood products, leaves and brush, between the hours of 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM without a permit. Any person that sets a fire within the restricted time without a permit shall be responsible for all fees, fines and costs incurred by the fire department.
Building/By-Law and Planning Department:
- The Province of Ontario has lifted the essential workplace limits on construction. The Township of Minden Hills Building Department will begin resuming all construction related activities, including the issuance of permits and inspections effective Tuesday, May 19, 2020. The Building Department can be reached by calling 705-286-1260 ext. 209.
- Septic inspections resumed effective May 11, 2020;
- Interaction with staff is limited to appointment only;
- Application forms pertaining to these departments can be found online;
- Meetings related to planning matters with legislated timelines will occur until or unless other legislative requirements are determined by the Province of Ontario;
- Staff will continue to field building inspection requests;
- Appropriate distancing and hygiene protocols will be required by staff and all participants; as determined by the Township; and
- The public is asked to consider the urgency of their request or application.
- Staff are working diligently to find a solution of moving forward planning business previously suspended due to the COVID-19 (Cornoavirus) outbreak. Committee of Adjustment and public meetings related to planning applications will resume as soon as possible by means that meet legislative requirements, provides transparency to the public, and adheres to all safety measures for Staff, Council and members of the Public.
The 2020 property tax installments are due on:
- May 29th
- June 26th
- July 24th
- September 18th
HOWEVER, late payment charges shall be suspended on all tax installments that are unpaid by the due dates. Interest at the rate of one and one quarter percent (1 ¼%) per month shall be charged on the first (1st) day following December 4, 2020, on all due and unpaid 2020 taxes.
Interest at the rate of one and one quarter percent (1 ¼%) per month will continue to be levied against taxes owing for previous years (2019 and older).
Preauthorized payment plan withdrawals will continue as originally scheduled. Ten (10) month plan and Arrears plan payments will be deducted on the last business day of each month. The installment plan payments will be withdrawn on July 24th and September 18th, 2020. Post-dated cheques on file will also be deposited on the dates as indicated on the cheques.
If you have any questions regarding your preauthorized payment plan or post-dated cheques, please call (705) 286-1260, extension 201.
We encourage account holders to utilize the payment methods available, and to submit payments as soon as reasonably possible.
- Cash and debit payments are currently suspended.
- On-line or telephone banking.
- Payment at financial institutions.
- Cheque-by mail or deposit in the drop box. The secure (locked) drop box is labelled and located on the north wall of the Administration building facing Pritchard Lane and the Municipal parking lot. It is accessed from the wheelchair entrance and is at the top of the first ramp.
Absolutely no cash is to be deposited in the drop box.
Payment of all Vendor Accounts (Accounts Payable):
- Will continue according to normal processes;
- Due to the office closure, invoices must be mailed or placed in the Township Drop Box – see Drop Box details above.
- Please ensure that invoices include your current mailing address, as the ability to pick-up your cheque at any Township facility has been suspended.
- Cheques will be The Township does not have the ability to EFT payments at this time, and courier services will not be utilized.
Property Assessment Values and Assessment Review Board:
- The Request for Reconsideration (RfR) deadline is usually March 31st of the applicable taxation year. However, given the emergency declared by the Province of Ontario, pursuant to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act and regulations made thereunder, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, (MPAC) has announced that the RfR deadline for the 2020 taxation year has changed. For further information visit: https://www.mpac.ca/
- For information regarding Assessment Review Board deferrals and timelines, please refer to the Board’s website under News and Updates: https://elto.gov.on.ca/
Parks, Recreation, Community and Cultural Services:
- These facilities are closed, and all Township events and programs have been cancelled or suspended until further notice.
Public Parks, Playgrounds and Boat Launches:
- In accordance with the Ontario Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, the following Township maintained seasonal public parks, playgrounds and boat launches are CLOSED, until further notice:
- Peck Street Boat Launch
- Downtown Public Dock (located on Water Street, along the Gull River)
- A reminder that the Minden, Lochlin and Irondale Community Centres remain closed, including the children’s playgrounds at each of these locations.
- Signage and/or barricades will be placed at all affected locations.
- All other municipally maintained public boat launches will remain open at this time. When accessing these locations, ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing with a minimum of 2m (6 feet) between yourself and other members of the public.
- All public washrooms and portable toilets (port-a-potties) are closed for public use.
Public Wi-Fi Hotspots:
- Will remain available at the following locations:
Administration Building – #7 Milne Street - Parking Lot and Minden Hills Library – #174 Bobcaygeon Road – Parking Lot
- Until further notice, Landfill services have been reduced to the acceptance of the following items only:
- Bagged household waste, up to 3 bags per week
- Blue Box recycling
- Scrap metal
- The following items are now accepted at Scotch Line Landfill:
- The Township of Minden Hills is urging residents to avoid waste sites as much as possible, in order reduce the number of individuals on site at any given time. Please Do Not attend waste sites unless you have accumulated 3 full bags of garbage
- Do not bring passengers to waste sites unless you need physical assistance unloading your vehicle or have no other arrangements made for watching a dependent (child, elderly, etc.).
- When you have exited your vehicle, ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing with a minimum of 2m (6 feet) between yourself and members of the public.
- Please remember that these are temporary measures put in place to stop the transmission of COVID-19 and a return to normal operations will require the immediate and full cooperation of the public.
- Service levels will be maintained in accordance with minimum maintenance standards.
- For Road Closure information (related to flooding and spring thaw conditions) please visit mindenhills.ca.
Reporting Non-Adherence to Public Event and Social Gathering Guidelines:
The Ontario government has prohibited organized public events and social gatherings of more than five (5) people.
If you are aware of anyone who is not adhering to this order, or to the guidelines related to physical distancing, you are encouraged to contact your local police department or the OPP at 1-888-310-1122; or online by visiting opp.ca/reporting.
Short Term Rentals:
Following the advice from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, on April 3, 2020, Ontario updated the list of essential businesses that can remain open. The restrictions are aimed at further reducing contact between people and stopping the spread of COVID-19: https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces
- Every person who provides short term rentals in rental accommodations shall ensure that any rentals booked after April 4, 2020 are only provided to individuals who are in need of housing during the emergency period.
- The above provision does not apply in respect of hotels, motels and student residences.
- Failing to comply with this emergency order is an offence under the EMCPA, and parties may be subject to a fine.
Laboratory testing of well water
The Haliburton HKPR District Health Unit is closed to the public, however water bottles can be picked up, and returned samples can be dropped off, outside the office located at 191 Highland Street, Unit 301, Haliburton, Monday to Thursday - 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. All returned water samples are to be placed in the cooler provided outside of the building. Ensure that you are practicing social/physical distancing.
Please call ahead as pick up/drop off times may change -1-866-888-4577, ext. 5006.
As a result of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, all Council and Committee of the Whole meetings will be conducted virtually via web conference; and Closed Session meetings via teleconference, until further notice.
Please visit the Committee of the Whole and Council page of our website for more information and to access the live stream link for the meeting.
Landfills Remain Open. The Hours of Operation Have Not Changed.
Account Holder Construction and Demolition Disposal
Effective May 4, 2020 the Township of Minden Hills will begin accepting construction and demolition materials at the Scotch Line Landfill from existing account holders only. Please refer to Media Release 20-27 Minden Hills COVID-19 Update Account Holder Construction & Demolition Disposal for complete details.
For more information on Landfill Operations, including some service reductions, refer to the
Landfill Operations page of our website.
The Township of Minden is monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic as declared by the World Health Organization (WHO).
We are collectively working together to put into effect community based measures that will protect the general population in Minden Hills and our surroundings, in order to do our part to slow the spread of the virus.
New information continues to be communicated by the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario regarding preventative measures for communities. This information can be accessed by clicking the links provided under the HELPFUL LINKS heading.
We will also share important and useful communications from our community partners. These can be accessed by clicking on the links provided under the SHARED COMMUNICATIONS heading.
On March 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced the COVID-19 outbreak can be characterized as a pandemic and that the rates of infection continue to rise. On March 17, 2020 the province of Ontario declared a State of Emergency.
The Township of Minden Hills has declared a state of emergency effective, Tuesday March 17, 2020 at 6:42 PM.
The Minden Hills Emergency Operations Centre has convened and are beginning to meet regularly to monitor the situation and are encouraging the public to check the Township website and local media outlets for updates.
Another way to stay up to date is to subscribe to our website by clicking the Subscribe Here button, located at the bottom of the web page, and by completing the following:
- Name and email address
- Select any or all of the options listed to receive notifications.
- You will receive a confirmation email thanking you for subscribing. IMPORTANT: Check your spam folder if you do not receive the confirmation email.
We will continue to communicate all information by means of media broadcasting and media releases to radio stations, local newspapers and our website.
For Municipal Emergency contact after hours call: 1-866-856-3247
For Emergency Services call: 911