Commissioner of Oaths
Please call in advance to make an appointment with the Clerk or Deputy Clerk to ensure the availability of a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits.
The Clerk and Deputy Clerk, as well as the Treasurer, are commissioners for taking affidavits in the Township of Minden Hills. There is a $10.00 fee for commissioning of documents.
The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit; it is the responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned. The person signing the document must understand the details to which they are confirming and that they are swearing an oath that the details are correct.
To have a document commissioned:
• All parties required to sign the document must be present and provide valid government issued photo identification to prove their identity;
• The affidavit must be signed in the presence of the commissioner;
• The entire document must be presented;
• Staff will review the document to determine if the document meets specifications; and
• If the paperwork is in order, all parties named in the document will then swear an oath of truth and the document will be stamped and sealed.
The Township will not Commission documents related to the following (you will be referred to a solicitor):
• Wills and Estate Matters
• Real Estate Transactions
• Financial Related Forms
The Township does not have a Notary Public on staff. If your documents requires a Notary Public, you will need to contact a Lawyer’s office.
It is at the discretion of the Commissioner of Oaths whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner of Oaths is uneasy about the identity of the person signing or the content of the document for any reason, the Commissioner of Oaths may refuse to sign the document and the deponent will be referred to a lawyer.
The Commissioner of Oaths will not assist with the completion of the affidavit or provide legal advice.
Please Note: Documents that are in any language other than English will not be commissioned, as we cannot validate the information that is sworn. There will be no exceptions to the Policy. Thank you for your co-operation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 705-286-1260.
Please note that identification pieces cannot be expired. Health Cards cannot be used as photo identification in Ontario.