Marriage Licence Requirements
Marriage Licences for a marriage in the Province of Ontario are issued at the Administrative building, 7 Milne Street, Minden Ontario.
Please see the following requirements:
- A Marriage Licence can be issued only to either or both applicants.
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.
- Both parties must sign the Marriage License Application form, available here.
- When issuing a Marriage Licence, two pieces of identification are required for both people getting married. Identification must be original with your current legal name, date of birth and signature. Common pieces of identifications are current driver’s license, current passport, and birth certificate.
- If you have been divorced within Canada, the original Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute must be presented to the license issuer. The Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute will be returned to the applicant.
- If you have been divorced outside Canada, please contact Service Ontario for further instructions.
- The current Licence Fee if $100.00 and is non-refundable.
- The Clerk’s Department can accept Marriage License Applications from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. *It is strongly recommended that you call the Township Office ahead of time to confirm the availability of Staff, or to make an appointment, to submit your application or to have your marriage licence issued.
- The marriage ceremony must take place within three (3) months of the date of issue of the Marriage Licence.
For further inquiries, please contact Clerks Department at 705-286-1260 or visit the Service Ontario website.
Note marriage licences are issued in accordance to the Marriage Act, and the rules and guidelines set out by the Office of the Registrar General.
Reminder: You must wait 8-10 weeks after your ceremony before contacting Service Ontario for your marriage certificate.
The Township of Minden Hills is pleased to offer Civil Marriage Ceremonies. Solemnization Services are simple, yet dignified. To utilize the Township Civil Marriage Service, you will require a valid Ontario Marriage
License, issued within three (3) months of the proposed date of marriage. A marriage license may be obtained from the Clerks Department at a cost of $100.00.
Ceremonies are scheduled for the second Friday of each a month during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Municipal Property. Please contact the Clerks Department to book and confirm your date. A Pre-Service Interview, with both applicants in attendance, shall occur with the Officiate at the Municipal Office prior to the Solemnization Service. This meeting is mandatory and will be approximately 1/2 hour in length. During this meeting arrangements for the service will be reviewed and specific details will be agreed upon.
A minimum of five (5) persons must be in attendance at the Civil Marriage Solemnization Service; the Officiate, the two applicants to be married plus two witnesses. If an interpreter is required, it is the responsibility of the applicants to provide one. The Interpreter is required to attend the Pre-Service Interview and to complete a document at the Service. If either applicant is sixteen or seventeen years of age, parental consent is required.
- Civil Service Fee is: $225.00
- Rental of Council Chambers: $50.00
There are no rental fees for the following outside wedding locations: Riverwalk, Village Green or Rotary Park.
All Fees are to be paid one month prior to the service. If the service is cancelled after this time a $50.00 cancellation fee may be applied. Please note fees are non-refundable for cancellations that are made one week prior to the ceremony date. Fees are payable by cash or debit, please make arrangements with Officiate.
The Minden Hills Cultural Centre offers a variety of venues, including the Museum Buildings for special occasions. For more information or to book your special day, please visit the Community Services section of the website.
For further information, availability, and to book an appointment please contact the Officiate at (705) 286-1260 ext. 215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org