Agnes Jamieson Gallery
Founded in 1981, the Agnes Jamieson Gallery primarily focuses on Canadian landscape art (past and contemporary) as a reflection of the gallery’s collection, location and community. The goal of the gallery is to foster an appreciation for Canadian landscape art as an important part of Canadian heritage and culture. Other visual art exhibitions are also scheduled to offset and compliment this vision.
Open year round the gallery offers a wide variety of programming, including: art talks, workshops, lectures and events.
Dr. Agnes Jamieson
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery was named in honour of Dr. Agnes Jamieson for her dedication and determination to have a public art gallery for the benefit of the community’s well being and to house a collection of artwork to include bequeathed paintings by Andrè Lapine. Dr. Agnes Jamieson came to Minden during WWII. She became the first woman coroner in Ontario. In addition to medicine, she enjoyed art and was an amateur painter.
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery collection includes over one hundred works by André Lapine(1866-1952), one of Canada’s foremost artist. Born in Russia (in the area that is now Latvia), Lapine trained at the Imperial Acadamie of Petrograd. He gained further training in Paris and then traveled to through France, where he reported to have painted nearly fifty commissioned portraits, and ended in Holland. Here he was accepted into a prestigious group, St. Lucius Society, by Piet Mondrian. In 1901 he married Gertrudia Columbine. The couple immigrated to Canada in 1905 to northern Manitoba to work the land for one year; after which they went to Toronto, where Lapine quickly became a leading artist. He worked for Brigden’s, a commercial art house in Toronto, where he was known for his ability to render lace and fur for images in the Eaton’s catalogue. In 1909 Lapine was accepted into the Ontario Society of Artists and in 1919 to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Lapine’s paintings were very popular. He was described in the media as the best illustrator of horses in North America. He was society’s “Gentle Cavalier” and was part of the centennial exhibition to the Tate in London England as well as having his work accepted into a number of public art galleries across Canada.
He visited Minden, Ontario, as many of the well-known artists of the day, did. He befriended Dr. Jamieson and near the end of his life, lived with Frank Welch. Welch acquired 42 of Lapine’s paintings during this time, which he bequeathed to the town of Minden. Dr. Jamieson knew this was a wonderful opportunity for the community and working with volunteers and keen determination, ensured a public gallery was created to properly house and showcase this collection.
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery also offers a small gift shop with local artists work and reproductions of the collections.
For general information please contact us.